10 Ways To Repurpose Boxes for Organizing.
There are two things I know: I can never have enough storage, and I seem to always have lots of extra cardboard boxes that seem to useful to put in the recycling bin. But I ask myself what in the world I’m going to do with all of them? So I was on a mission to find some fun, unique, and useful ideas. I found these 10 Clever Ways To Upcycle Boxes For Storage, and I think you will enjoy them!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
Yes, it is tempting to toss every box out, but I hate wasting things that I could re-use, even if I’m just putting things in the recycling. That’s why I wanted to combine the idea of upcycling boxes with turning them into storage. It’s the perfect answer!
10 Clever Ways to Upcycle Boxes for Storage
Making a DIY storage box is one of the easiest projects you can do. I wanted to give you a little bit of guidance to help you get the best results.
- Use an X-Acto Knife. If you have an X-Acto knife, get it out and use it to cut the cardboard. It allows you to cut different shapes easily and works great. A utility knife is a fine substitute.
- Scissors work too. If you don’t have a craft knife, that’s fine. You could also use scissors for these projects. Just know that not all scissors seem to have the same cutting power. I always struggle with off-brand scissors when it comes to cutting thicker materials, but name brand scissors tend to be sharper.
- You can use a variety of boxes for these crafts. Old gift boxes, shoe boxes, shipping boxes, and jewelry boxes are just a few types that you can upcycle.
- Hot glue is best. When you are gluing the cardboard to itself in a different shape, hot glue will be your best friend. It has the holding power you need, while being easy to apply and quick to dry.
1. DIY Belted Storage Totes
Brit + Co got super creative and made these adorable DIY Belted Storage Totes using belts and old boxes!
2. DIY Cloth Storage Containers
I don’t think you can ever have too many storage containers! These adorable DIY Cloth Storage Containers from A Box from The DIY Nuts are amazing.
3. Cardboard Storage Bin
I love this Cardboard Storage Bin from Just Measuring Up. Instead of throwing out old diaper boxes, you can transform them!
4. No-Sew Fabric Storage Box
You don’t have to sew at all to make this No-Sew Fabric Storage Box from Sustain My Craft Habit. I love the fresh, clean look!
5. Cardboard Box Upcycle Idea
The price of containers can get a little out of hand, so I am a huge fan of this Cardboard Box Upcycle Idea from Domestically Creative. It’s inexpensive and useful!
6. Shoe Box Vintage Trunk Storage
Add some extra charm to your space by making this Shoe Box Vintage Trunk Storage Idea from My Poppet Makes. You can use it to store all sorts of things.
7. DIY Cereal Box Drawer Divider
Have tons of cereal boxes but aren’t sure what to do with them? Make these useful DIY Cereal Box Drawer Dividers from I Heart Organizing.
8. Upcycled Gift Boxes
Want to have something to display while actually being useful too? Make these Upcycled Gift Boxes For Display Storage from Swoon Worthy. They turned out fantastic!
9. Cardboard Storage Boxes
These Cardboard Storage Boxes from Make It & Love It are easy and can make a huge impact on a room. Make them as bright as you want, or tone them down to match your style.
10. DIY Decoupage Cardboard Tray
Take cardboard from an old box and turn it into this stunning DIY Decoupage Cardboard Tray from Karen Kavett. Hold your jewelry or other trinkets.
Which project are you going to try first?
You might also be interested in: 11 Genius Dollar Store Organizing Hacks