I discovered a wonderful new cut of meat that I have never seen before- Carne Picada at Walmart. You can probably pick it up in Spanish markets and other grocery stores, but this is the only place I have found it so far. Essentially it is just beef cut/shredded into very tiny pieces, used in a lot of Hispanic cooking I believe. I immediately had to try it out in several new dishes because I loved how it was a little “fancier” than ground beef, still affordable, and I knew it would cook quick. My first recipe was- One Skillet Beef and Cabbage, and it came out so tasty that I had to share it with you. The best part is that you only need to dirty just one pan to cook an entire filling meal for your family- we just added some buttered bread to finish it off.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
This quick and easy dinner recipe is nice and hearty, making it perfect for these colder months!
One Skillet Beef and Cabbage
1 lb. Carne Picada (or ground beef)
½ head cabbage
3 cloves garlic
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tsp. olive oil
1. Slice cabbage into very thin ribbons and dice your onions very small.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook beef and olive oil until nearly done, with very little pink showing.
3. Stir in the cabbage, onions, garlic, salt and pepper- stirring frequently, until wilted and tender.
4. Drain juice, then add diced tomatoes and cook just until heated through.
5. Serve and enjoy!
Do you love cabbage as much as I do? Try our homemade sauerkraut recipe!Print
One Skillet Beef and Cabbage
- Category: Main
This quick, hearty, and delicious beef dish is perfect for fall!
- 1 lb. Carne Picada (or ground beef)
- ½ head cabbage
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1–2 tsp. olive oil
- Slice cabbage into very thin ribbons and dice your onions very small.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook beef and olive oil until nearly done, with very little pink showing.
- Stir in the cabbage, onions, garlic, salt and pepper- stirring frequently, until wilted and tender.
- Drain juice, then add diced tomatoes and cook just until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!
About Jody: I am a Florida girl through and through living the semi-country, small town life. I am making my way through it with my amazing hubby, 2 beautiful kids, 2 of the best Dachshunds to ever walk the face of the earth, massive amounts of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus. I homeschool, craft, cook, scrapbook, garden, raid the thrift shops, snap 1,000’s of photos, and read when I can grab a spare minute (which is rare). You can find me blogging at Simply Southern Sunshine.
You may also be interested in:
Looks like an easy way to hide all those veggies from your kids. I bet this is a family favorite.
Ora Lee Gurr says
What an awesome recipe. I just added carne picada to my grocery list so we can have this for dinner next week. I am so tired of washing pots and pans, so just one large skillet for beef and cabbage is a winner right away.
Debbie Denny says
I love beef and cabbage. That looks like a fantastic meal. Great recipe.
Rachel Ferrucci says
I love cabbage and this looks delish! I have to try this, I think the family will love it
I like the one skillet dishes. And I do love me some cabbage!
Debbie L. says
Oh my this looks very tasty. Pinned I will be giving this a try.
Manuela Williams says
Thank you Debbie. I hope you like it!
I have never had beef and cabbage! I will have to give this a try, so I can taste something new 🙂
I just love a good one-pot meal. Thanks for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty this week. I hope you join us next week.