Pumpkin spice candles that you can diy! If you’re like me, then you love to stop to smell the candles in stores like Target or Bath and Body Works. There are just so many different scents, and they come in different pretty colors, sometimes also in pretty containers! However, while I like to smell candles, I don’t always like the candles’ prices (some larger candles cost $25 or more!). And also, I don’t like that some candles contain toxins that get released when you burn them. So how do I get around all of that? By making my own candles! DIY candles are actually really easy to make, and don’t require a ton of time or fancy equipment. Here’s how to make a perfect candle for fall- a DIY Pumpkin Spice Soy Candle!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
This homemade pumpkin spice candle is a soy candle, which means its much safer than traditional paraffin candles. Paraffin wax candles produce soot, and also emit harmful chemicals like benzene and toluene. Even if you don’t burn candles often or don’t have asthma or other respiratory issues, you don’t want any that kind of stuff in your home’s air. Soy candles also burn longer than paraffin candles. So they’re safer and last a longer time. What’s not to love!
DIY Pumpkin Spice Soy Candle
2 cups of soy wax flakes
1 orange crayon (you can get cheap crayons at your local dollar store)
1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice seasoning
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1 candle wick with weighted bottom
Chopstick/wood stick or pencil
Glass jar (like a Mason jar or leftover jelly/jam jar)
1. Start by heating the soy wax flakes on low heat. Directly on the stove top works well, just be sure use a non-stick pot.
2. Stir the soy candle flakes as they melt. Keep the liquid moving to avoid sticking.
3. If you want to color your candle, DO NOT use food coloring as it won’t mix properly. Instead, use a crayon. For ours we used an orange crayon. Just peel the wrapper off, break the crayon into a few pieces, then drop the pieces into the mixture and stir.
4. Add in the pumpkin spice seasoning, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and stir. The color of the wax may darken. If it looks too dark, you can add another crayon or two.
5. Now, wrap the top of the wick around a pencil or chopstick. Place the stick over the jar and let the weighted wick bottom drop to the bottom of the jar where it will rest.
6. Remove the mixture from the heat and slowly pour it into the jar. Pour the wax mixture in small layers and let each layer harden slightly if you have issues with the spices all falling to the bottom. Re-center the wick if it gets moved.
7. Now set the candle in a room that is cool. Allow it to harden naturally. It may take 4 hours until the candle is set. The color may lighten somewhat.
8. Once hardened you can snip the wick to shorten it. Then, light and enjoy your DIY pumpkin spice soy candle!
Have you ever made a candle before?
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
You might also be interested in: