Most people think that the things they do to live frugally are just that, things they do, but in truth, frugality as a whole is a lifestyle. In fact, it’s a day to day way of living that needs to be nurtured in order to really bank as much benefit from it as possible. People who are truly frugal understand that the habits they have built up need to be attended to every day. Take a look at these 10 frugal habits thrifty people nurture to see how your own habits stack up.
10 Frugal Habits Thrifty People Nurture
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
1. Frugal people know that any savings is worth it – Pennies add up to dollars and a truly frugal person knows this and does everything they can to make certain they are saving every single one, every single day.
2. Frugal people know the importance of staying healthy – Doctor visits and hospital stays cost more money than most people have. Therefore, a frugal person will eat well, exercise frequently and do whatever else they can to stay healthy.
3. Frugal people know the value of a home cooked meal – Aside from the health benefits of cooking at home, frugal folks nurture their ability to cook in order to save.
4. A frugal person knows how to use something to the last drop or very last use. This means reusing things like jars or buckets, mending clothing and more to make it last longer for value.
5. Frugal people save and they save every dime possible. I don’t mean that they save in their daily lives, I mean that they save in the bank. Frugal people know why an emergency fund, sinking funds and a full checking account is important.
6. Frugal people don’t waste money on frivolous hobbies. Instead, they make their hobbies make money for them by selling products to pay for those hobbies or by actually using the things they make themselves (as in gifts, home decor, gardening etc).
7. Frugal people are entertained frugally. This means that they aren’t going to the movies every weekend. Instead, they’re more likely to rent movies from the library instead.
8. They are generally DIY Queens (or Kings!). A frugal person will nurture their ability to fix things themselves and typically only call a repair person (or replace the item) if they don’t know how to fix it themselves.
9. They aren’t emotional – Okay so they may very well be emotional people, but someone who truly lives a frugal lifestyle knows how emotions affect their spending and saving.
10. They rarely buy new – Ask a lot of millionaires and they will tell you that most of what they own is used. From cars to clothes, they see the value of buying a quality used product over a more expensive newer one.
Finally, truly frugal people know that debt should be avoided at all costs. Instead, they will save until they have the money to purchase what they want. To save, they will use the habits above (and a few others) and nurture their lifestyle over and over again.
You may also be interested in: