I’ve been so happy to have some pleasant weather so I could get back in the garden! I haven’t done anything too major just yet, mostly cleaning things up and preparing for new additions, but it’s been nice to finally be back outside again. Since I’m focused on prettying things up in the garden right now, I thought a nice addition would be some colorful plant markers. I couldn’t find any that I liked at the store (most of them are very plain), so I figured this was an opportunity to put my DIY skills to use! Here’s how I made my DIY Hand Painted Rock Garden Markers!
This is such a fun spring/summer craft! You could easily have the kids or grandkids help you out with this, too. I can imagine them having a lot of fun customizing their painted rock garden markers with different colors and decorative designs. I know I did!
DIY Hand Painted Rock Garden Markers
1. Begin by washing your rocks thoroughly. Use warm soap and water and dry well once clean.
2. Apply two coats of your paint over the rocks. Your thicker paint brush will be ideal for this step. Allow the coats to dry well in between coats. Apply a third if necessary.
3. Once your base coat is dry, you can add your labels. First, create a simple squiggle line border or polka dots around the rock.
4. Use your thin paint brush to create the lettering. White paint seems to work best for this. Take your time and carefully write out the plants you need to identify.
5. Allow the letters to dry. Paint an optional coat of clear sealer over the rocks (do this outdoors because of the fumes). This may help them last longer if they get excessively wet (as can easily happen outdoors). Let this coat dry.
6. Once your painted rock garden markers are dry, you can add them to your flower beds, gardens, or even container gardens to help you identify your plants!
What plants do you want to make markers for?
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information, and thanks for supporting this site!
You might also be interested in: