Today I have a fun fall DIY project contributed by Jody Smith
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
4×4’s make a lovely rustic decoration for your porch, or inside on a table! You can leave them plain but a little bit of color really makes them pop and adds interest. Simply use painters tape and spray paint to create stripes for a pretty pattern, I varied the stripes on all 3 for a just a little bit more funky style. If you happen to have 4×4’s laying around and spray paint in the garage this project will be totally free!
Otherwise you can still get it done for under $10, not bad for porch decor that can be used year after year and customized to match your indoor or outdoor style.
orange spray paint
teal spray paint
1-2” diameter limbs
saw (or ask Home Depot to cut for you)
hot glue gun/glue sticks
1. Cut 4×4’s to desired size, a good scale is 4”, 6”, and 8” or have Home Depot do it for you if you don’t have a saw.
2.Tape off your pattern- simple stripes or criss cross your tape all for a checker board pattern. Be sure to press the painters tape firmly into wood to get a crisp paint line.
3. Spray paint a light tack coat on wood with your accent color choice, top and sides. Allow to dry 5 minutes, add 1-2 more coats until your desired shade is reached. Dry paint for 1 hour.
4. Cover painted areas with painters tape again, pressing down firmly and paint primary color- using 2-3 coats until you are happy with coverage.
5. After final coat let paint dry for 3-4 hours before adding accents.
6. For a more rustic touch break limbs by hand into pieces approximately 3” long.
7. Hot glue “stems” to the top center of wood. hold in place for a minute until glue is hardened.
8. Wrap sisal string around stem and let it coil down the side, trim to desired length or add your favorite fall ribbon and faux leaves.
9. To make your pumpkins last longer, you can spray them with an additional 2 coats of clear polyurethane spray.
These are easy to make and easy to dress up for fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving!
About Jody: I am a Florida girl through and through living the semi-country, small town life. I am making my way through it with my amazing hubby, 2 beautiful kids, 2 of the best Dachshunds to ever walk the face of the earth, massive amounts of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus. I homeschool, craft, cook, scrapbook, garden, raid the thrift shops, snap 1,000’s of photos, and read when I can grab a spare minute (which is rare). You can find me blogging at Simply Southern Sunshine.
You might also be interested in: