Summer is the time for outdoor entertaining and hanging jar lanterns are a lovely way to light up the patio or yard! I think they would even be a pretty and frugal decoration for an evening wedding. These are very easy to make and can be used as hanging lanterns or sitting on table. You can hang them in a cluster or by themselves. These DIY Hanging Lanterns are so versatile!
Whether you are entertaining or just want to dress up your outdoor seating areas, painting your mason or other types of jars is a simple and inexpensive way to add a punch of color and personal style. Choose colors to celebrate your favorite sports team, you current decor, or a holiday-red, white, and blue dots or stripes would be a wonderful understated 4th of July decoration.
DIY Hanging Jar Lantern
You will need:
smooth glass jar
clear sealant spray
dry erase marker (optional)
1. Wipe the outside of your jar down well with a pad soaked in alcohol, this will help remove oils, dirt, and fingerprints. Let dry.
2. Decide on a pattern, you can either freehand a simple design like polka dots or do a more elaborate pattern. If you’re nervous about free handing with paint you can draw out your design with a dry erase marker.
3. For polka dots I dipped q tips in one paint color, and dotted the jar all around then continued with each of my other color choices until it was as full as I liked.
4. Allow to dry completely.
5. Spray OUTSIDE with 2-3 coats clear sealant, dry overnight.
6. Add 1”-1 ½” of playing sand to hold your tea light in place.
7.Wrap just under thread of jar 2-3 times with a long length of twine, leaving long ends out on opposite sides-pull tight. Tie each end into a secure knot on the wrapped threads.
Pull up ends and tie together for hanging.
Make one or a dozen to hang around the yard, porch, or patio. I think they would be beautiful hanging from the trees – I used a battery powered tea light.
About Jody: I am a Florida girl through and through living the semi-country, small town life. I am making my way through it with my amazing hubby, 2 beautiful kids, 2 of the best Dachshunds to ever walk the face of the earth, massive amounts of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus. I homeschool, craft, cook, scrapbook, garden, raid the thrift shops, snap 1,000’s of photos, and read when I can grab a spare minute (which is rare). You can find me blogging at Simply Southern Sunshine.