Easy Cottage Style Table Runner

Saturday morning I woke up with a slight sore throat and  I didn’t feel particularly energetic. I had planned on  painting my foyer. That would involve climbing up and down a ladder – not happening. Plus it was raining. So I decided to do an easy sewing project. I’ve been wanting  a new table runner and I have lots of burlap & fabric so I decided on a burlap and gingham tablerunner.

burlap and gingham tablerunner

This really is a super easy project!

burlap & gingham table runner

I think this combination of fabrics is so cottagey!

gingham fabric

Let me tell you, I think there are about a bajillion table runner tutorials out there!                                 Here’s another one………………..Not really!

hemmed sides of fabric and burlap

This is the tutorial I used. I did have to hem my ruffle and stitch the sides of my burlap but basically followed her very good directions.

burlap tablerunner

I’d never made a ruffle before so I learned something new making this.

burlap runner on white table

It’s all just straight line sewing and I’m sure you could use Stitch Witchery and make it without sewing.

It was very easy to make! I think it looks very country cottage style with the addition of the gingham.

red toile chair and burlap and gingham tablerunner

I also love how it looks with the red toile on my dining room chairs.

Comments

I always struggled with ruffles when I was learning to sew as a teenager …too OCD about getting it perfectly even. I drove myself (and my mom) crazy. Then I discovered pre-sewn ruffles by the yard …oh happy day! But your runner is much cuter than I could make with a pre-sewn ruffle, Manuela. Maybe now …40 years later …I could make a ruffle myself and not make myself crazy in the process!

: )

Glad nothing contagious came out of that then, Manuela! : ) Your runner turned out beautifully! I love the fabrics you used for it, too. I did a quick simple one myself today as part of my makeover items for my granddaughter’s room. I have this whole week to get everything together so I can swoop in there next week and set it all up {the in-laws drove in from NY for the week}. Like you, I have lots of fabric. I save every little piece that I think could become something, too, so I’m sure that doesn’t help!

It’s very cute. I’m working on two, a burlap one and a painter’s cloth one. They both have the ruffle from an abandoned bed ruffle as the edge. I don’t know. I rather like your more bold color choice over mine.

How lovely Manuela, your runner looks super. So pleased you are in fine fettle now!
    Thank you for your sweet visit and lovely comments, it’s always lovely to ‘see’ you!
    Rose H
    x

Manuela,

This is a really cute, simple, elegant, romantic chic tablerunner :) :) I’ll have to give this a try. I haven’t sewn ruffles in AGES, so it’ll be nice to do a refresher course for that :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather ;)

6. sharon says

Manuela,

That is beautiful! And straight seams! I am taking sewing lessons and think I may be able to try my hand at this one. Thanks so much!
    ~Sharon

Are you really fine??? Sometimes I get a sore throat and it goes away and then bang I get a full blown cold. Hope you are nice and fine and dandy! I love the red checks on this–I am not a burlap fan , but you have made it sweet!

Yes, I’m feeling super! Thank you for your concern – you’re a sweetie.

I’m not overly fond of burlap too. It’s itchy and the fibers float around so I don’t get making pillows out of it. But a runner is a good way to use it if you don’t use it for crafting.

Manuela

Love the runner! I love that fabric with the burlap. Actually, it would look very nice in my own kitchen. That’s not a big surprise since your style was the inspiration for the whole thing.

And I hope you got a good report on your laptop. Demons, I tell ya, demons…

That runner is really pretty! I don’t sew, at all, but I think I could do this little project with burlap I already have. You make it look so easy, so we will see….

Glad you feel better!

I love this Manuela! I’ve got some burlap waiting for a fun project! I just love the red and white gingham.. Black, Red and White are my Kitchen colors too!