I always find such pretty cups and saucers at the thriftstore but usually don’t buy them because they’re too flowery for my china cabinet since it’s mostly transferware. So I’ve been thinking of where I could incorporate a few and then it hit me….my china garden! I have plates as a border and hanging on the fence wall, so what could be more perfect than a teacup birdfeeder!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
Well if you have a teacup you need a pot don’t you?
I found that teapot at the thriftstore. I didn’t want to use one of my nice ones since I don’t know how that’s going to hold up through a storm! I’m going to look for a prettier one that I don’t mind leaving outside. I glued the lid on and I need to fill the spout with some caulk so it doesn’t collect water and breed mosquitoes.
Here’s how to make the teacup birdfeeder. It’s really easy!
You need a teacup (of course), a 1/2 inch piece of copper pipe, a 1/2 in. copper cap that will sit on top of the pipe, some strong waterproof glue. I read one direction on the internet where they said use hot glue….I don’t know if that will hold in wet weather. I made one last year that fell off it’s wooden post because I used the wrong glue. So use Bondo, E600 or a similar type glue.
Then glue your saucer onto your cup and then glue your cap onto the saucer (with the opening up)and let that sit for several hours to dry. Then you just slip the whole thing onto your copper pipe which should already be in the ground. The good thing is you can easily take the teacup part off to dump the water that will collect when it rains. I’m not really going to put birdfeed in mine but you can!
I think I’ll make a few more at various heights.
I think it looks so cute in this garden! It just makes me smile when I see it! I hope you give it a try!
My AC is fixed!! Of course, it’s much cooler now than it was last weekend! Anyway… It needed a new motor which wasn’t as expensive as getting a whole new unit but it was still expensive. Thank goodness for Emergency Funds!