Now that it’s winter, it’s even more important to take care of your skin. The cold, dry air could easily leave it dull and rough. A great way to combat this is with a sugar scrub! Unfortunately, commercial sugar scrubs tend to be costly, and they often contain odd chemicals. Save money and clean your skin naturally with this Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub recipe!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon and/or Etsy, which means that I may earn a small commission from some of the links in this post. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
While you could just make this for yourself, all you have to do is make a pretty lid and tag to turn this sugar scrub into a frugal Christmas gift!
Homemade Peppermint Sugar Scrub
Sugar Scrub Ingredients:
2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup coconut oil
Red food coloring
Peppermint essential oil
Mason jar(s) with lid (fills 4 4oz jars, 2 1/2 pint jars or 1 full pint jar)
Scrap cardboard (an old cereal box would work)
Sugar Scrub Directions:
1. Pour white sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl.
2. Microwave coconut oil in microwave for 10 seconds at 50% power. Stir. Repeat twice, for a total of 30 seconds at 50% power.
3. Add coconut oil to sugar while stirring until desired consistency is reached.
4. Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to the sugar mixture. Stir.
5. Split your sugar scrub mixture into two equal portions
7. Measure your jar and cut the scrap cardboard to be equally wide. Cut one more piece of cardboard the same size, then cut it in half to make four strips. Stick the strips inside the jar. You will need to trim one side of the cardboard on an angle as the jars are not completely straight. Just do the best you can.
8. Using the cardboard divider, alternate layers of the white and pink sugar to create the checkered look. I did one spoon (just a plain table spoon) of each color for each layer.
9. Gently remove the cardboard divider from the jar, tap lightly to settle, and cap!
Avery Key Tags – split ring
Papermate Flair pens in red and black
Red fabric (could be a scrap piece)
White embroidery floss
1. Remove the rings from the Avery tags.
2. Cut the fabric all the way around, about 1″ bigger than the jar lid. Place cut fabric underneath the lid and screw the lid on.
3. Wrap the embroidery floss around the lid multiple times, then tie it off, leaving some extra to tie the tag on with. Attach the key tag for the label.
4. Using the red pen, draw a simple peppermint design on the tag.
5. Using the black pen, write “sugar scrub” on the tag.
Your homemade peppermint sugar scrub is ready to give as a lovely holiday gift!
Want more DIY sugar scrubs?
Check out our DIY Sugar Scrubs eBook! It contains 18 budget-friendly and all-natural sugar scrub recipes that will revitalize your skin (and that make great gifts)!
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
You may also be interested in: