Red Gingham & Roosters

When you have very little money to spare on decorating, the thrift store can be your best friend. I have gotten so many really great things at the thrift store! I don’t know what I’d do if there were no thrift stores! I’d have a pretty empty house (which might be a good thing :) ).

red gingham rooster plate - A Cultivated Nest

Sometimes (most times) I come away with nothing. The trick is to try to go frequently. I had a really good week thrifting  last week  since I was in and out looking for some art work to use on this project. I  thought I’d share two of my finds  with you today.

gingham & rooster bowl - A Cultivated Nest

This pattern….I found a bowl and two plates a few years ago and last week I found two more plates!

red gingham & rooster Plates - A Cultivated Nest

I just love this pattern!

Doesn’t it just say “I belong on a table in a Farmhouse”!

stack of plates - A Cultivated Nest

So now I have 4 plates and 1 bowl – that’s thrifting! You’re very lucky if you find a complete set of dishes. These were originally from Wal-Mart available in one of those box sets that they sell. Unfortunately that was around 2004/5ish. They really should bring this pattern back don’t ya think!

The other thrifting treasure I want to show you is this vintage rooster vase I found.

vintage rooster vase - A Cultivated Nest

Isn’t he something! I added him to my rooster collection that I have on the top of my Ikea bookcases.

thrifted vintage roosters - A Cultivated Nest

Eventually I’d like there to only be vintage chickens/roosters on that shelf. I have a couple of big ones I put in the back that are new. One day I’ll have real chickens but for now these will have to do.

I’m very happy with my thrift store purchases. I found a few other things that I’ll save for another day!

Comments

Oh, Walmart should bring these back pronto! So many of us now have farmhouse fever! I go to the thrift stores and I never find anything remotely that good. You must have a great thrift store. I’m jealous, as you can see.
    Brenda

Hi Manuela! Oh, you did good! I love those sweet plates and your Rooster is so handsome! Love those yard birds.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

Oh these are so pretty. The gingham is wonderful. Love gingham and the rooster together on the plate…but the Rooster! he is the best.
    Thanks for showing them ~Pat

4. Rhonda says

I saw your plates pinned on pinterest and I had to click through. They caught my eye because I just got an almost complete set for free a couple of weeks ago. There was a pile of stuff in front of a house with a “Free” sign on it (leftovers from a yard sale, I think) I found a set of these dishes in the original box and Little Tikes table for my son. Definitely a score.

5. Debbie says

I would love those gingham plates and they would go so perfectly in my kitchen. I try the thrifting regularly, but these days our locals stores just rot. I need to get to Savannah, Augusta, or Atlanta.

I have one of those rooster plates and so wish I had more ’cause it is probably my most favorite pattern. Sure wish I could find some out thrifting like you did! Love those vintage roosters!

Great finds! I love both of them since we have chickens and a red kitchen. I need to learn more patience when thrifting. I get so frustrated when I go out to GW and garage sales, and don’t find anything. Then I don’t want to go again for a long time. But then I see what others get and want to try it again:)

Wow! I’m so happy for you. I love those dishes! They are so you too! I find wonderful things while thrifting too. Very happy with some of the great finds….I do little happy dances now and then when I find things! Hahaha…
    I always love peeking into your china hutch. It is just wonderful.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

Blessings Manuela. Such a long time since I’ve been able to visit!~ I so adore the gingham pattern. I had TLC approach me to do an audition for a program for them and they asked me how many of my items were from yard sale, thrift store finds? ummmmmmmmmmmm..like 90%..including my clothes..lol. I’m in the process though of downsizing my collections which is really making me simplify my decorating these days…Your plates are what I have been hunting down for years now. I’m Canadian and finding it very hard to find that type of pattern here (even at Walmart)..

Hi Manuella..
    Your rooster is so regal and elegant…I LOVE him!!
    I would never put flowers in him!!!
    Your plates are cute and make me smile.
    Have a good day
    Barb from Australia

I really love the pretty gingham plates that you found. I’ve been stopping in at the thrift store more, lately, and now I think I really want to keep my eyes out for some red dishware! So pretty! Thanks for the inspiration and good advice to stop in frequently. :)

They’re adorable. Yes, they should bring them back. You were lucky to find so many, and that rooster is a great find too. You have quite a collection going.

I love those dishes! I was one of the ones that got that boxed set several years ago and I’ve loved them ever since. And yes, I wish they would bring them back, I would love to have a few more pieces. Your rooster is fantastic..what a wonderful find!!!!!