- 1 large red onion
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- Large Mason jar (a glass container is best to protect the flavor)
- Cut the ends off your onion and peel off the outer skin.
- Cut onion in half and then slice into very thin pieces.
- Microwave the vinegar and water for 1 minute, stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
- Pour mixture into Mason jar and add black peppercorns.
- Drop your sliced onions into the jar, filling it to the top (be careful not to overfill!).
- Allow mixture to sit uncovered until it has reached room temperature.
- Replace lid and store in the refrigerator. Allow onions to sit for at least 24 hours before sampling so that the flavors of your pickled onions have a chance to combine well.