Enjoy the delicious flavor of pumpkin this fall with these easy pumpkin spice cupcakes with homemade cream cheese frosting!
Cake Batter Ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 tsp. salt
*You can make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice by mixing:
- 3 Tbs. of ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp. of nutmeg
- 2 tsp. of ground ginger
- 1 tsp. of ground allspice
- 1 tsp. of ground cloves
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
*This recipe makes more frosting than you will need for 24 cupcakes. I like to keep the remainder in the fridge and use to top other desserts such as cinnamon rolls. If you don’t want leftover frosting you can halve the recipe and you should have just enough to frost the cupcakes.
Cake Batter Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two 12-count muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl beat eggs until they are thick.
- Add the pumpkin, oil, and sugar and beat well.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and beat for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer on the medium setting.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them a little over half way full.
- Bake at 325 F for 30 minutes. Test whether they are done by inserting a wooden toothpick into the center of the cupcake and cheeking that it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Remove all of the cupcakes from the pan and put them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add the icing sugar to the cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes when they have cooled completely. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Then enjoy your homemade pumpkin pie spice cupcakes with homemade cream cheese frosting!