These festive pretzel rods make a great New Year’s Eve party appetizer or dessert! Here’s how to make your own easy and sparkly New Year’s pretzel sticks!
- Pretzel rods (the big ones, not the small pretzel sticks)
- Brown candy melts, milk chocolate chips, or chocolate almond bark
- White candy melts or vanilla almond bark
- Assorted sprinkles in gold, silver, white, and/or black (I used this big sprinkle mix as well as additional white sprinkles and jimmies.)
- Melt the candy coating according to package directions, giving special care not to overheat the candy. If the candy coating is overheated, it will be too thick. You can add 2 teaspoons of vegetable shortening to help thin the candy but do not add any other type of liquid as the candy will seize and harden.
- Pour candy coating over two-thirds of the pretzel rod and shake gently to remove excess. If applying sprinkles, do so immediately, rotating the pretzel rods to coat all sides. Larger sprinkles work best if placed individually.
- Place pretzel stick on waxed paper or cooling rack (waxed paper makes for an easier release).
- If drizzling with additional colored candy melts, allow initial candy coating to set completely. Then, use a spoon or fork to drizzle candy coating over the pretzel rods. Before the pretzel sets, gently pick it up and move to clean wax paper.
- Let pretzel sticks dry completely before packaging or serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Placing in the refrigerator may cause the pretzel to soften.