- 4 to 4 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp. honey (or granulated sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- additional large grain salt for sprinkling
- 2 quart of water
- ½ cup baking soda
- Preheat oven to 425
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large bowl combine warm water , honey, salt,and yeast- stir until dissolved.
- Add 4 cups flour, mix well. Continue adding flour ¼ cup at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
- Flip out onto a well floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Split dough into 1/4’s.
- Working with one section at a time roll into long “snakes” the diameter is up to you depending on how thick you want your final product- after boiling and baking they are pretty close to the same size as the raw dough.
- Cut the rolled out pieces of dough-again the length is up to you, your pretzels can be as large or small as you desire.
- Place 2 quarts of water and baking soda in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Whisk egg well, set aside.
- Bend each end of your cut piece of dough inward and press into bottom of circle to form a traditional shape as shown in the picture.
- Drop pretzels into boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove from pot and place on baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash all over the top of each pretzel.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.