This soup is low calorie, cleansing, and very tasty!
- 9 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large head of cabbage, chopped (approximately 13 cups)
- 5 onions, diced (approximately 6 cups)
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups fresh or frozen green beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 10 ounces of fresh kale, tough stems removed and chopped
- 2 32-ounce containers of hearty vegetable broth
- 12-ounces salsa (or one can of diced tomatoes & juice)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 6 ounces of fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 7 green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, add the carrots, cabbage, onions, garlic, green beans and kale – in that order. I used a 12-quart stock pot, and it was full to the top, so you’ll need one that’s at least that big.
- Next add the salsa, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and paprika.
- Pour both containers of broth over the ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat down to medium, cover and cook for about 5-10 minutes. As the ingredients come up to temperature, they will start to wilt and break down making it easier to stir.
- Add enough additional liquid so that it comes to the top of the ingredients. You can use water or more broth.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer, stirring frequently so that everything is evenly combined.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender to your liking. This was about 15 minutes for me.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper. Additionally, you can add any additional seasoning you like too.
- When the soup tastes the way you want it, remove it from the heat and stir in the spinach and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy your low calorie cleansing vegetable soup!