These peppermint shortbread cookies have light icing and crushed peppermint on top- the perfect holiday combination!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1– 3 tsp. milk
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2–3 candy canes
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Crush 2-3 candy canes in blender, food processor or coffee grinder until nearly powder.
- In the bowl of your stand or hand mixer combine butter, peppermint extract, and brown sugar until well mixed and fluffy.
- Incorporate flour until well combined.
- Roll out dough onto floured surface to between ¼” and ½” thickness.
- Cut out into preferred shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Carefully move cut out cookies to baking sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes, until edges are lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and cool cookies completely.
- Place confectioners sugar in a bowl and add milk 1 tsp. at a time until desired consistency has been reached. Normally I make this icing pretty thick, but if you want a very thin coat on your cookies, it can be looser.
- Dip cooled cookies front down into icing.
- Immediately sprinkle with crushed peppermint.
- Spread out on waxed paper to dry. When dry, enjoy your delicious homemade peppermint shortbread cookies!