These homemade flour tortillas will make your Mexican dishes even tastier!
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco shortening or non-flavored vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cups of warm water (approximately)
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Give a quick mix with a whisk or fork to help spread out the ingredients.
- Add shortening, and mix well throughout dry ingredients. You want to create the tiniest of little “shortening beads” in your dough mixture.
- Slowly add in your water. You probably will not need the full amount of water! Just a bit under 3/4 cups! Mix well until you get a nice tacky ball.
- Cover and allow to rest 30 – 45 minutes.
- With a knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges, like that of pie. Roll each wedge into a round ball.
- With a rolling pin a on lightly floured surface, flatten each dough ball into a thin circular or semi-circular shape.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Allow approximately 5 minutes for it to heat up before using. You will not need to use any type of spray, grease, or butter. This is a dry cooking technique.
- Place your tortilla in the hot pan and cook for approximately 30 seconds on each side.