If you love English muffins, then you need to try them as a loaf! Here is how to make homemade English muffin bread! It’s so delicious toasted!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 packet (.25 ounce, or 2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast (AKA rapid-rise yeast, not to be confused with active dry yeast)
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk (or dairy free milk- I like to use almond milk when baking)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or oil of your choice)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Cornmeal to sprinkle in pan
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast.
- Heat the milk in the microwave or in a sauce pan on the stove until hot. Ideally it would reach 130 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a cooking thermometer, stir the milk well before testing the temperature to ensure an accurate read. Add the hot milk and the vegetable oil to the flour mixture.
- Use an electric hand mixer to beat the mixture at medium speed for 1 minute, or beat by hand for 3 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough will be very soft and sticky.
- Grease an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, then dust the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
- Scoop the dough into the pan. Cover the pan with a clean dish towel and place in a warm location to rise just until the dough reaches the top of the pan, approximately 1 hour.
- Bake the bread at 400 F for 25 minutes until it is golden brown on the top. The internal temperature of the bread should reach 190 F.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool at room temperature. Slice the bread, toast, and serve with butter and jam. Store leftover bread in an airtight container.
The thinner you slice the bread, the easier it is to toast it crispy like an English muffin!
This bread also makes a great sandwich bread.