Enjoy a helping of homemade chicken pot pie after a long day. It’s super flavorful and packed with chicken and veggies inside of a flaky golden crust.
- 4 Tablespoon butter
- 4 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) cream of chicken soup
- 1.5 cups half and half or milk
- 1–3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (can use leftover chicken or boil a large chicken breast)
- 2. cups frozen mixed vegetables (thawed)
- ½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon thyme
- 1 box (2- 9” circles) refrigerated pie dough
- 1 egg + 1 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay out the box of refrigerated dough and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour to make a smooth paste. This is called a roux.
- In a separate pan, bring chicken broth and cream of chicken soup to a boil. Lower heat to medium-high.
- Add roux, a tablespoon at a time to the chicken broth mixture, continually whisking.
- Keep adding roux and whisking until the mixture is thickened.
- Add milk, a little at a time, and continue stirring over heat until mixture is smooth and has a pudding-like consistency. Do not allow to get too thick as it will continue to thicken as it bakes in the crust. You can add more milk if it becomes too thick.
- Add chicken, mixed vegetables, thyme, salt, and poultry seasoning. Stir and set aside.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll dough out lightly.
- Using one of the dishes you are baking in as a template, cut the shape of the bottom of the dish out of the pie dough. You may need to gather pieces and reroll dough as you cut.
- Place a piece of dough in the bottom of each dish.
- Cut pieces out of dough to fit the top of each dish plus one extra inch all the way around.
- Fill each dish about ¾ full with the chicken filling.
- Mix egg and 1 Tablespoon milk with a fork, whipping lightly.
- Brush around edges of each top piece.
- Flip pieces over onto the tops of the filled dishes.
- Fold top pieces under about 3/4 inch onto themselves and crimp the edges. Brush the surface of the tops with egg wash. Cut several slits in tops to allow steam to escape.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.