Enjoy this cheery Christmas trifle recipe for all your holiday events. Everyone will devour every last crumb, so save yourself a piece!
For the sponge cake
- Take the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk it until it is light, pale and fluffy
- In a separate bowl, mix in all the remaining ingredients thoroughly.
- Now very gently, mix the batter with the whipped egg and sugar mixture, folding just until everything is combined.
- Pour this in a greased and lined cake pan and bake it in a preheated oven for around 15-20 minutes at 350°F until the top turns golden and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely.
For the assembly
- To macerate the fruits, take the chopped fruits into a bowl and add the sugar and lemon juice. Mix it gently until evenly mixed. Let this sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut the sponge cake into pieces and make an even layer of the sponge at the bottom of the jar/dish.
- Now add some whipped cream and spread it evenly on top of the sponge layer.
- Top the cream with a layer of macerated fruits.
- Now repeat this same process, one layer of the sponge cake, macerated fruits and top it up with some cream.
- Let it cool in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.