If you love chocolate and caramel separately, then you’ll love them together in these yummy homemade caramel brownies!
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk (or almond milk)
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided (optional)
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13″ x 9″ baking pan.
- Beat the sugar, baking cocoa, canola oil, eggs, and milk together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.
- Pour about two-thirds of the brownie mixture into the greased pan. Set the rest of the mixture aside. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the first layer is baking, combine the caramels and sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan over low heat. Heat until the caramels are melted.
- When the first brownie layer is done, pour the caramel mixture over the brownie. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the caramel. Then using a teaspoon, drop the rest of the brownie mixture on top of the caramel layer. Swirl the brownie mixture with a knife, ensuring it covers most of the caramel. Sprinkle the other 1/2 cup of walnuts on top.
- Put the pan back in the oven and bake for another 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center come out with some moist crumbs. Don’t expect the knife to come out clean, and don’t overbake.
- Let the pan cool a bit on a wire rack, then serve. Enjoy your homemade caramel brownies!