October 23, 2014

Fall Book Page Wreath & Some Pumpkin Ideas

Hi everyone! I did some fall decorating in my living room. I made a fall book page wreath and the tutorial is at the end of the post. I also have some pumpkin decorating ideas.

DIY fall book page wreath
Book page wreaths have been around for quite some time and I just gave mine a little fall spin.

fal lbook page wreath
I’ve been wanting to make one. So I made one last night to relax and just work on something for fun for a change.

altered pumpkins
I also made a little pumpkin display using mostly pumpkins that I did years ago. I added some silver pumpkins this year which I just painted with an inexpensive bottle of silver metallic craft paint. The crown is a stick on decal. The design on the large white pumpkin is from a rub-on.
fabricpumpkin
I bought two of these gingham fabric pumpkins at Target’s Dollar Spot (these are actually $2.50 each). I took off the raffia and changed the ribbon.
pumpkins
Again, some silver metallic craft paint (splattered these with a bit of black to make them look a bit more like aged mercury glass) another crown decal and more rub-ons.

black and white pumpkins decorated with decals
All the pumpkins.
fall decorating idea
The wreath too.

I didn’t take photos of all the steps for making a book page wreath since there are already lots of tutorials available on how to make one. But to get you started, this is what I did:

How to make a fall book page wreath:

Step1
I used a plate to draw a circle on some foam core (I got mine from my daughter who’s an art student but you can get it at Michael’s, Jo-Ann’s, Hobby Lobby etc). You could also use poster board or even a cereal box or cardboard. It’s going to be covered so it doesn’t really matter.
step 2
I then used a utility knife to cut it out. I tore out some pages from an old paperback that I had (that I never finished reading because I didn’t like it – but you can find one at a thriftstore or garage sale). I folded the pages in a sort of loose accordian fashion and stapled the ends.
step3
As you can see I drew another circle inside my form and I hot glued the folded pages around that circle and then continued with another circle inside that one and then another one inside that. Staggering the folded pages until the form was covered with pages.

coffeefilter rosettes
In the center I hot glued a flat coffee filter and in the center of that I glued a pinecone (a pumpkin would be cute too) and surrounded it with coffee filter rosettes. I hot glued some faux falls leaves in various places and some ribbon on the back so I could hang it.

wreath3
It’s really an easy project and cost me nothing since I had everything required already. It was a fun project for me.

coffee filter center in book page wreath

The center had me stumped and I tried various things until I decided on the pinecone with the coffee filter rosettes.

But like I said, a pumpkin, a bat, or some other fall or Halloween themed item would be cute as well.

Signature

Comments

1. Ally's Corner says:

Always love what you do. I haven't done anything for fall yet and not sure I will. So busy with other stuff.
    Have a great day!!

2. Love Love Love this post!

3. So cute, Manuela! i just love all your black and white pumpkins, and they look great with your book page wreath. Well done. I love the fact that you made that wreath to relax. That goes to show that you're really good at crafting things!

Hope the work on the house is going well. Thanks for letting us know what you're up to! :)

4. I love your wreath ~ such a clever idea!

Jo

5. Beautiful & Creative!!!

Blessings!
    ~Nadine

6. That is quite adorable and I plan on making one, sugar. I have no idea where I'll put it in this house because we downsized 5 years ago from 5,000 s.f. to 1800 s.f. and I ran out of room just after moving in! Squeeeeal!!!

Anyway, I read your "About me" page and know exactly what you're going through physically. I did a flip, accidentally, and damaged my ham string and adductors and abductors in the groin area. Why was an old lady doing a flip?! I didn't mean to but a cable got in my way and over I went. Hubby, of course, laughed just after I asked him if anyone saw it. "Only the guy in the car next to us" was his reply. I wanted to knee-cap him also.

Anyway, love the wreath. I'm in physical therapy 3x a week for 4 weeks so I know your agony, chickee. Whining…..

xoxo,
    Connie

7. Marla @ Always Nesting says:

If I had half your decorating talent, I'd feel like a queen! You always have the best ideas, the best crafts, and real projects that look soooooo goood.

8. I love your book wreath. But your pumpkins are my favorites. I really love the way that you decorate. I love all the warm colors. Happy fall!!!

Hugs,Lee Laurie

9. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

Love the wreath, Manuela! I think I have everything on hand to make one, too, and maybe I'll give that a try. Love your pumpkins. I did a few white ones last year with some stencils and crown stickers, too. Such an easy and quick project. Nice idea with the silver ~ I wouldn't have thought to do that color, but it does work with that mercury glass look that is so popular {and still will be this holiday season according to the sneak peeks Pottery Barn sent me}.

It's hard work getting your house ready to go on the market! It's amazing some of the maintenance items you have to take care of.

10. I love your wreath, Manuela! So pretty.

Hugs,
    Donna

11. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

I just love the whole vignette. Great artistic pumpkins and the wreath is great.

12. I LOVE that wreath and being a book-freak, I need to make it! And that rosette…. I thought it would be difficult. Coffee filters?! Be still my Muse! We can do this! (I have pinecones out in yard.) I have silk leave… corn husks… ohmy…
    thanks dear for the awesome post/idea/muse-fodder!

13. Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio says:

Love that wreath…I have wanted to try one. As usual, you have inspired me.
    Penny

14. shannon i olson says:

very pretty! I haven't done much in the line of crafts lately…maybe this would be fun.

15. I like your wreath..I've never seen one like it before.

16. Love the wreath! You are so creative!
    I purchased the coffee filters to make the wreath you made in another post. I hope eventually I will make one!
    Hugs,
    Donna

17. Great ideas!

I love what you did with the pumpkins in silver to look like mercury glass,etc…

18. So creative–thanks!

19. Looks great…all of it!!!

20. Julie Harward says:

That is the cutest wreath and I love the pumpkins too…I can see that you have had a busy week…Happy Fall to you! :D

21. I love your decorations, Manuela! And thanks for the wreath tutorial!

22. Rose H (UK) says:

Wow stunning! Thank you for the tutorial Manuela :o)

23. I think the wreath looks fantastic! I love all your pumpkins with the decals….KATHY

24. I love that wreath!!! I am so interested in copying that. I also love the look of the black, white, and silver pumpkinn display. I tell ya… your stuff is just a treat for me to see. Fantastic!

25. I love this wreath more than any I've seen. I especially like how you folded the pages instead of making the cone shape. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

26. Oh I just LOVE this wreath and thanks for showing us how you made it!!!
    And I know EXACTLY how you feel with getting things ready!!! I'm making a list of rooms that need touching up so I can get it done one by one without overwhelming myself!!!!
    xoxo

27. Oh Manuela, that wreath is GORGEOUS and looks like something even "little ole me" can do:)

Gotta try making a wreath and I love your pumpkin display!

Enjoy your day with the wallpaper… NOT, been there and it isn't fun!

HUGS

28. Lisa@Pickles and Cheese says:

I love this wreath and thanks so much for showing us how you did it. I was wondering if that center flower was made out of coffee filters. Love this!

29. So pretty, I'm dying to give this a try! :) I finally posted pics of my house this weekend, if you have time to sneak a peak! :)
    Have a great rest of your week and great job on all you are accomplishing behind the scenes! :)
    Shilo

30. Yvonne @ StoneGable says:

Manuela, This is a project I will certainly do! Beautiful!
    I just made some pumpkins with decals… they are so much fun aren't they?
    Yvonne

31. I love the whole vingette-So glad you posted and let us know what you were up to-Your dtg must have got her creative talent from her mama:-)

32. As always another adorable project!! It all looks wonderful and very Fall-ish!!!♥

33. Glenda/MidSouth says:

Love those pumpkins. I thought about doing some more this year, but like everything else, I have not got around it yet.

34. Susan Ramey Cleveland says:

Your wreath is amazing. Also I love those pumpkins.

35. Storybook Woods says:

Akkk, gorgeous I have to make one. You are the bomb xoxo Clarice

36. I love this entire display, and will be bookmarking your site.

I definitely want to make this wreath, and the pumpkins too. Where did you find the crown decal?

37. I have never seen that type of wreath, but I absolutely love it! What a wonderful idea. I am going to try to make one for fall. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with everything on the house. :)

38. Love your paper wreath! It is so neat. I also loved the pumpkins.
    Have a great Fall!
    Love,
    Marie

39. Hello My Sweet Friend

That's what I love about you, even in your busiest of times, you are thinking about us – you friends. I love the silver with the splatter to look like mercury glass – awesome!!!

Gotta run, I'm on lunch break!
    Leann

40. love those gorgeous pumpkins!! great post and pics!

41. I have bookmarked many projects that I want to do someday, but this one has enraptured me enough to want to do it THIS weekend. Thank you!
    ::Nicole W.

42. Michelle Hoad says:

I love the leaves tucked in the wreath.

43. Atelier de Charo says:

A fantastic wreath!

44. Cindy (Applestone Cottage) says:

Oh I just love this Manuela!
    Your wreath is so pretty and so is your pumpkin display!
    Love your creativity!
    Cindy

45. Awesome! Absolutely Awesome! I remember my mom had a wreath made out of old computer punch cards or something. Not sure what they were but they were punched with a bunch of tiny holes. This project brings back that memory to me and I love the idea of the coffee filter – brilliant.

I have to run home and do this.

46. I love the wreath Manuela, the coffee filter rosette and the pine cone "make" it!

47. I love the wreath, also the pumpkins. I think I'm going to wait a while to put out my pumpkins. The groc. store has the pumpkins now so it really feels like fall.

48. Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry says:

Book page wreaths are AWESOME…. THIS one however is the BEST, most BEAUTIFUL… ooops I just drooled on my keyboard!

49. It's a really pretty look. The book wreath looks so nice with the b/w pumkins.

50. Annie's Online Store says:

i think you have done a fabulous job by decorating your home this way, wreath is wonderful and so are the pumpkins, lovely ideas and great results – buying these accesories is such fun but making them yourself does you proud

51. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality says:

Very cute! I love your whole display. Those wreaths are really pretty, yours turned out great. I'm finally getting a little Fall up next week. I'm SO slow this time of year!

52. Dama das Camélias says:

I love it!!! So great, i will make one for Christmas.

Kiss kiss

53. Brenda Kula says:

Oh, you're good at this stuff! I've been thinking about you the past week, wondering how the preparing-for-moving is going. I've got to head to Target. Love gingham anything!
    Brenda

54. Recycled Rita says:

That book wreath looks like a big bookie chrysanthimum! It is really pretty! And I love all your pumpkins! karen….

55. Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ says:

You outdo yourself every time Manuela!!! The wreath AND the pumpkins are soooo cute!!! (Actually…everything is so pretty and charmingly autumn…uniquely Manuela.) You make them look surprisingly easy too!
    Love,
    Tracey
    x0x

56. Miss Janice says:

I love the wreath. I saw those gingham pumpkins at Target and started to buy them. Only you could take them and make them so ultra chic! All your pumpkins are the best ever!

57. Love all your pretty pumpkins and ADORE that wreath. Good job, Manuela! Mimi

58. This Old Country House says:

I love your style! Just found your blog & am overwhelmed with craftiness, you are so talented. Keep up the great work & I look forward to seeing more:)
    ~Ilsa

59. I love it!
    Thank you for the tutorial.
    I think I need one for my dinning room! :-)

Hugz, Dolly

60. Marla @ Always Nesting says:

Manuela, I linked back to you in my latest post, fall mantel,and wanted to thank you for the wonderful inspiration.

61. Gumbo Lily says:

I really like the paper wreath. I think I'll fiddle with that tonight. Thank you for more homey inspiration!

Jody

62. Melissa Miller says:

It's all so cute Manuela! :)

63. Everything looks amazing. I love your black and white, stacked pumpkins. I don't think our Target has these or at least, I haven't seen them. So cute.

64. sheila from life @ #17 says:

great wreath :)

65. Hi Manuela~

I wanted to stop by and say hello! I didn't know you were selling your home! I hope getting it ready to sell is going well! :)

I love the fall touches you added to the book wreath! And all of your pumpkins are amazing! I didn't see those adorable gingham pumpkins last time I was there…must check on that again! :)

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
    Jenni
    {Beautiful Nest}

66. Mona Kay at Home says:

Oh my gosh, I don't know which I love more, the pumpkins or the wreath!!! I have been looking for a wreath for weeks, & they're all the same, boring thing…I'm so excited to make yours!!!

Thanks for sharing!

67. Those pumpkins are great – I would've never thought to use rub-ons on white pumpkins. So creative and eye-catching!

68. I don't know how you do it, Manuela, you can do something that's been done numerous times and make it so unique and yours that it's like seeing it new all over again. It's a gift, my friend.

69. Hi Manuela
    You are amazing! In the midst of all the work you have to get your home ready to sell, you still find time to do new projects!
    I love the wreath and the pumpkins!
    Hugs, Rhondi

70. Sweet Cottage Dreams says:

how pretty! i am going to have to mosey over to target!

thank you for sharing how to make the wreath. i sure could use a fun project! where do you learn how to make the coffee filter rosettes?

i am having a giveaway that you may like…. a burlap runner!

xo
    becky

71. Fun, Fabulous Finding your Blog!!! Some people just have natural crafting & decorating talent and you got it girlfriend!!! I'm new to Bloggy land and have decided to "Follow" you in all your crafting endeavors. Home is where my heart is and at age 57 & retired from 30+ yrs of teaching, I finally get to stay home!!
    Gmama Jane

Visit me at http://www.grandmamasstories.blogspot.com

72. that is just insanely beautiful! I'm going to attempt it this week sometime. THank you for the tutorial!