Pasties are a classic hand meat pie. Meat, potatoes, and spices come together to create a handheld meal perfect for a cool fall day, or a meal for on the go! We love making these for a nice solid meal that can travel when we are heading out for the evening. A half of one for each child is a full meal, making these a very frugal recipe! Here’s how to make Traditional Style Pasties (AKA Meat Pies)!
I sometimes add cheese to these for a dairy boost, leftover frozen veggies to clear out the freezer, or even just leftover meats! These meat pies are essentially a whole meal made into a single handheld food, so feel free to be creative with your add-ins. Since these are pretty large, you’ll find that a half portion is more than enough for kids, and maybe even adults, too! They go even farther if paired with a side, like extra mashed potatoes, rice, salad, or veggies. If you’re trying to make your meat budget stretch (or want to reduce how much meat you eat) consider adding beans or lentils as filler. They won’t be noticeable at all!
Traditional Style Pasties (Meat Pies)
Makes 2 full-size meat pies, or 4 half-pies.
1. Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until they’re tender and can be broken by piercing them with a fork.
2. Brown meat, adding in minced garlic, minced onion, 1/2 tsp parsley, and salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Layer mashed potatoes and meat in the center of each crust.
7. Fold crusts in half, pinching edges.
8. Cut three slices in the top of each crust.
9. Bake until crusts are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve whole, or cut into half-portions.
Have you ever had a meat pie?
- ½ pound potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅛ cup minced onions
- 1 teaspoon parsley, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- Peel, chop, and boil potatoes until they're tender and can be broken by piercing them with a fork.
- Brown meat, adding in minced garlic, minced onion, ½ tsp parsley, and salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend potatoes, milk, and butter with a stand mixer or hand mixer to create creamy mashed potatoes. Add ½ tsp parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out both pie crusts.
- Layer meat and mashed potatoes in the center of each crust.
- Fold crusts in half, pinching edges.
- Cut three slices in the top of each crust.
- Bake until crusts are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Serve whole, or cut into half-portions.
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
You might also be interested in: